
Alright, the long anticipated Moving Day blog. Just how to grab the essence of what all happened will be a feat.
1. Rented the truck... all 26 feet of it, as well as the full towing thingy for the car.
2. Hired "professional" movers.
3. Packed like no one's business so moving day would run easier.
4. Cleaning and little sleep.
5. Movers arrived, sans towing apparatus and come to find out, no hope of getting said apparatus that day.
6. Watched as the so-called "professional" movers loaded a mere 1/4 of my belongings in 4 hours. This was of course in between their smoke breaks and flirt sessions with the single lady downstairs who plied them with coffee, lights and ego boosts.
7. In sheer desperation, I called my fellas in Amsterdam... all three of which showed up in less than an hour!!!! I need to brag on them... cos they were sooooo awesome!!! They showed up and loaded the remaining items in less than 2 hours. They banned me from helping, but asked where I'd like things. They even had a few minutes to goof around and blow off steam and show their Lucy they still loved her, by horsin' around as they did when they were lil kids. : )) They will be forever known as my knights in shining armor. Abrazos y Besitos, mis nenes!!!!!! : )))) The woman at the rental place said they had located a tow thing and would have it to me in the morning.
8. The fellas left... we slept on the mattresses on the floor.
9. Next morning, as we waited for the tow trailer, we loaded the mattresses and odds n ends we had left out... but no tow thing. The woman made it sound like we it would be there in just a little while... which turned into 5pm!!! Grrrr!
10. Needless to say at the end of such a couple of days, my brain was fried... frustrated, tired, cranky and just at the end of my rope... My brother wanted to hit the road but I was exhausted & a bit intimidated by the enormous truck and towing thingy! There was absolutely zero way I could decide anything else. Thank goodness for the "Gator Boi" !!!! : )) He advised that if it was all the same, to sleep and start out fresh in the morning. I was like, "ok". We slept on the floors this time. We started out in the dining room, but wound up feeling like hobos... and eventually went to our rooms. Felt better in the morning though so it was worth the discomfort of the floors. : ))
11. Got on I-87 south bound... Yaaaaayyyyyyyy!!!!!! ACK!!!!! Couldn't go that easi-ly!! As we entered morning rush hour traffic around Albany (the capitol of NY) , I noticed the gas gauge was on "E". I called the rental lady in a panic. I thought it would be full and ready to drive. She proceeds to tell me that I got it the way I will return it. Grumble grumble grumble!!!!! Then came the need to get off the highway and maneuver around Albany. [JUST IMAGINE if this had happened at NIGHT!!!!] (Thank you again, Gator Boi!!!!!!)
12. Found i had driving skillz I never knew I had!!! heheheh Gassed up and got back on the highway... determined to run this thing off a cliff after I off loaded it!!!!
13. Noticed the webbed wheel restraints had come loose and fallen off. These were the only things actually holding the car on the tow trailer. The ratcheting system was jammed and took some doing to un-jam and figure out how to make it work. A few calls & texts to no avail... it finally came to me what to do. Thanks go out to Gator Boi and my two cousins... I know it was tricky trying to assist when yas couldn't see what I was workin' on.
14. Snoozed in this monstrosity that night... just cos I was pushin' to get to FL... and couldn't find a pet friendly hotel at that time of night. Between the seats not reclining; my brother's snoring; Mollie being such a good watch doggie and poor Sunnie not getting comfy... This does not qualify as actual sleep.
15. After having bravely stated I was pushing to get to Florida that night... Gator Boi, having all the intuition and foresight I seem to lack some days... mentioned, "That's quite a long haul." I lasted one more hour as he and my bro texted. As you enter, Georgia there is a billboard I was able to read through bleary eyes: "Hampton Inn... Pet Friendly" I turned off. After unwinding, I slept like a rock that had been dropped from cartoon heights.
16. After eating waffles and fruit... we hit the road. I felt like a new woman!!! Which is a good thing considering the oil light came on in the truck. We pulled over to a gas station, a truck driver showed me how to check the oil. Oil was fine. I called the 800 repair #... she cheerily tells me that it's fine and not to worry. I stopped her mid-cheer and said, "Please think carefully... and be 100% certain that we are going to be safe and make it to our destination. This entire experience has been dreadful. I will pity the person who responds to this call if I need to call you back." She paused, re-read, apologized, paused again and then said, carefully, "It should be fine."
17. We made it.
18. Thank you: Papote, Topo, Barney, Gator Boi & my 2 cousins. Especially Gator Boi, cos he was with me every step of the way!!! : )) Everyone else got a break... but not him. Mucho thanks dude!
Next: Apartment Hunting
Post a Comment