tia: tAkE tWo

Friday, January 20, 2012

 

Something about flowers...

I will be the gladdest thing
Under the sun!
I will touch a hundred flowers
And not pick one.
~Edna St. Vincent Millay, "Afternoon on a Hill"

Now normally, I am in tune with the aforementioned thought: seeing flowers in any setting is enough to make me smile... the grocery store, the flower shoppe, someone's garden... even a painting! (Have you seen Van Gogh's poppies, sunflowers and irises?? siiiighhh) But once or twice a year, something about them speaks to me and I must have them!

Flowers are used in celebrations the whole world wide! Babies, proms, weddings and funerals... tokens of appreciation... get well... thinking of you... Mother's Day & Easter... congratulations & birthdays!!! (I sent my dad an arrangement when he graduated from college... giggle, prolly not the thing most would think to send a cowboy... but it made him laugh! He, in turn, sent me my very first dozen roses when I turned 30!)

Growing up, both grandmothers had very green thumbs and always had flowers around. In Central Florida, we always had Camelias, Hibiscus, Roses, Azaleas and Orange Blossoms. Out west, my grandmother always had a flower garden with Hollyhocks and Delphiniums... as well as the entire length of their driveway lined with a terrific assortment of annuals. My step-grandmother had the biggest Angel's Trumpet tree!!!

Maybe it's just a girl kinda thing... or maybe, it's just... something about flowers.




Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

August 2011   September 2011   October 2011   November 2011   January 2012   February 2012   March 2012   April 2012   May 2012   June 2012   July 2012   September 2012   October 2012   November 2012   December 2012   January 2013   March 2013   April 2013   July 2013  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]